Puttanesca is one of my favorite Italian pasta dish. It is fast and easy to make, which makes it a great weeknight meal but it is also delicious enough to serve on special occasions.
I recommend making this pasta with fresh, juicy, sweet tomatoes, but chopped canned tomatoes are ok too. Use the best canned tomatoes you can buy.
For me it’s not puttanesca if there are no anchovies. Anchovies add another flavor dimension, just like when you use fish sauce instead of salt. The anchovies in this recipe are chopped very finely so they will easily dissolve into the sauce.
I used shrimp in this recipe but when I don’t have one, a can of good quality yellowfin tuna is an excellent substitute. Just chop the tuna finely and mix it in the end as you would do with the shrimps.
Linguini Fini is my pasta of choice for this recipe. It is a thinner version of the traditional linguini. If you can’t find linguini fini, use regular linguini. Enjoy!
Shrimp Pasta Puttanesca
- 115 grams 4 ounces uncooked linguini fini pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10-12 pieces shrimps shelled and deveined
- 1 piece yellow small onion/ shallot minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 pieces anchovy fillets minced
- 1/4 cup pitted black olives minced
- 1 tablespoon capers drained, diced
- 3 pieces tomatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil optional
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive in a saucepan on medium heat. Add the shrimps and cook until pink on both sides and just cooked through, about 3-4 minutes, turning once. Transfer cooked shrimps on a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onions/shallots and saute for about 2 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, anchovies, olives, capers, tomatoes, and water. Stir and cook it until the tomatoes begin to break down and sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Add more water if sauce is too thick.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Add back the cooked shrimps and cooked linguine to the sauce and combine well.
- Chiffonade the basil (if using) and garnish on top of pasta before serving.