Delicious glazed lemon poppy seed loaf that is so simple to make. This loaf is extra moist owing to the use of sour cream instead of milk, while the poppy seeds and lemon zest add texture.
If you like lemony desserts you will love this bread. This lovely loaf is not too sweet and is made even tastier with the tangy syrup that seeps addictively into the cake.
This lemon poppy seed loaf is a popular make-ahead bread. This loaf is extra moist owing to the use of sour cream instead of milk. Five days later it was still as moist as it was on the day I made it! I have also tried using buttermilk for this recipe but sour cream yields the most moist lemon loaf I have ever baked.
The batter comes together in minutes and takes about half an hour to bake in the oven. Once the loaf has cooled it’s topped with a lemon glaze for added moisture, hint of sweetness, and extra punch of lemon. While you can totally skip adding the lemon glaze as it is delicious as it is, I don’t think I’d ever make this loaf without it!
There’s so much lemon flavor in this bread and I don’t know, but there’s just something about lemon and poppy seed together that I just love. Hope you all give it a try and let me know if you enjoyed it as much as we did.
Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
For the lemon poppy seed loaf:
- 188 grams all-purpose flour (bleached) (1 ½ cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 91 grams sour cream (14% milk fat) (6 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 113 grams unsalted butter (at room temperature) (½ cup )
- 200 grams granulated white sugar (1 cup )
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature (about 100 grams)
- 5 grams lemon zest around 3 lemons
- 2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 120 grams icing sugar, sifted (1 cup)
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream (35% cream)
- 2 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F | 175 C (see Note 1). Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Lightly flour the pans, tapping out any excess. Set aside.
To make the lemon poppy seed loaf:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a separate small bowl, stir together the sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the lemon zest and poppy seeds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- With the mixer on medium speed, alternate adding the flour mixture in 3 additions and the sour cream mixture in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Blend after each addition until just combined. Stop to scrape the sides of the bowl, then mix for another 20 seconds. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and then smooth the tops.
- Bake the loaf for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. For even baking, rotate the pan front to back halfway through. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
To make the lemon glaze:
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl until perfectly smooth. Spread the glaze on the top of the cooled lemon poppy seed loaf and allow to sit for about 20 minutes to set.