This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
This versatile vanilla sweet cream cold foam topping not only tastes delicious but also adds a visually appealing layer to your drink, adding a creamy, frothy goodness to your coffee beverages. Wondering what it is and how to make it? You’ve come to the right place.
This velvety and flavorful addition is made by combining cold milk, heavy cream, and vanilla syrup, then blending or frothing until it achieves a thick, creamy consistency. While Starbucks uses a high powered blender to whip up their version of Sweet Cream Cold Foam, you can easily recreate this tasty treat at home using simple methods and ingredients.
So, if you’re ready to elevate your iced coffee or cold brew experience, follow this guide and let the smooth richness of Sweet Cream Cold Foam change your coffee game forever.
What Is Sweet Cream Cold Foam
Sweet Cream Cold Foam is a delightful addition to your coffee that elevates both its taste and texture.
This frothy topping, which has gained immense popularity due to Starbucks’ innovative menu, is essentially a mixture of milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla flavoring. It has a more liquid texture than whipped cream, yet it’s thicker than standard cream, giving your coffee a unique finishing touch.
As warm weather is fast approaching, I used sweet cream cold foam over cold brew coffee (I use the store-bought Starbucks brand). But know that you can enjoy this with both hot and cold beverages.
This versatile topping not only tastes delicious but also adds a visually appealing layer to your drink. It’s perfect for when you want to enhance your coffee experience by adding an extra layer of creamy indulgence.
To create the cold foam, you need to aerate the milk and cream mixture. This can be done using various methods, such as a handheld milk frother, a frothing pitcher, or even by shaking the mixture in a tightly sealed container. The key is to introduce air into the mix, resulting in a delightful, slightly sweet foam that you can scoop onto your favorite coffee drinks.
When you experiment with this at home, you can also customize the sweetness and flavors to your personal preferences.
Try experimenting with different sweeteners like honey or maple syrup, or play around with various extracts such as caramel or almond. The possibilities are endless, allowing you to create your own unique coffee masterpiece.
What You’ll Need
Ingredients & Substitutions
To make Sweet Cream Cold Foam, you’ll need a few simple ingredients:
- 240 ml (1 cup) of cold brew coffee
- I usually use store-bought but here’s a good homemade recipe if you want to make one.
- ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (whipping cream or double cream)
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk or whole milk (nonfat milk can also be used for a lighter version, or your preferred dairy or non-dairy milk alternative, such as almond milk or soy milk)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla syrup
- If you’re not using vanilla syrup, you need pure vanilla extract + sugar, powdered sugar, or an alternative sweetener (e.g., stevia). Start with a few drops of vanilla extract (if you put too much it might be overwhelming) and 1/2 teaspoon sugar, then adjust according to your liking.
You can customize your recipe with other flavors, such as pumpkin spice and fruit syrups. Add or reduce sugar according to your taste.
Tools and Equipment
- A milk frother (handheld, electric, or an immersion blender attachment)
- If you don’t have a milk frother, you would need a whisk or French press (for manual frothing)
- A mason jar or container with a lid for mixing and storing
How To Make
Follow these steps to create the perfect Sweet Cream Cold Foam:
- In a container, combine the heavy cream, milk, and vanilla syrup (or your sweetener of choice, such as sugar, powdered sugar, stevia, or a flavored syrup) to infuse your foam with a hint of sweetness and depth.
- Froth your milk mixture using your preferred method – you can use a handheld milk frother, electric milk frother, immersion blender, mixer, French press, or a whisk. The consistency should be somewhere between whipped cream and foam.
- Fill a glass with 240ml (1 cup) of cold brew coffee then pour the foam on top.
Can I Use Sweet Cream Cold Foam On Cold Brew Coffee only?
Aside from cold brew coffee, pour this velvety sweet cream cold foam over:
- iced americano
- iced lattes
- iced chai tea latte
- hot chocolate
Customizations & Variations
If you’re looking to customize your foam, there are plenty of flavoring options to try.
For a seasonal treat, consider creating a pumpkin cold foam by adding pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, and a touch of maple syrup to the basic recipe. This would be perfect for topping a pumpkin cream cold foam.
For another twist, try adding flavors like Irish cream or salted caramel to your sweet cream foam for an indulgent treat reminiscent of Starbucks’ Salted Caramel Cream Cold Brew.
Making Sweet Cream Cold Foam is a versatile and customizable process. Feel free to experiment with different milk types, sweetness levels, and additional flavors to make the perfect foam for your taste buds.
Don’t worry if you have dietary restrictions; the sweet cream foam can be customized to fit your needs.
For a dairy-free version, replace the milk and heavy cream with your favorite non-dairy alternatives, such as almond or oat milk. Keep in mind that this may result in a slightly less rich foam, but it will still be delicious.
If you’re following a low-carb or keto diet, you can still enjoy sweet cream foam by using unsweetened almond milk and a sugar-free vanilla syrup. This will give you a lightly sweet foam that is low in carbohydrates and perfect for your diet.
With these recipes and customizations, you can easily create your own foam-topped drinks at home.
Now you can enjoy your favorite Sweet Cream Cold Foam beverages any time you like, knowing that they’re tailored to your taste preferences and dietary needs.
Printable Recipe Card
Tried this recipe and loved it? If you made this recipe or any other recipe on this site, I would love to know! Rate the recipe and leave a comment below.
Sweet Cream Cold Foam
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream/ whipping cream/ double cream
- 1 tablespoon milk whole milk, skim milk, almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla syrup
- ice cubes
- 240 ml (1 cup) cold brew coffee homemade or store-bought
- In a container, combine the heavy cream, milk, and vanilla syrup (or your sweetener of choice, such as sugar, powdered sugar, stevia, or a flavored syrup). Stir well.2 tablespoons heavy cream/ whipping cream/ double cream1 tablespoon milk2 tablespoons vanilla syrup
- Fill a glass with ice then pour the cold brew coffee (see notes for other options). Top with the finished sweet cream cold foam.ice cubes240 ml (1 cup) cold brew coffee