Enoki mushrooms are small, thin-stemmed mushrooms with tiny caps. Commonly found in east Asian cuisines, they are relatively soft and has a mild earthy taste. I found a nice bunch of these at the Asian grocery store and thought of wrapping them in meat. I was originally eyeing for sukiyaki cut beef, but since there’s none in the grocery I decided to use bacon instead.
Enoki mushrooms tend to wilt and shrink once they are cooked, so don’t scrimp on the amount of mushrooms that you are going to wrap with each bacon slice. I also suggest using regular bacon (not the maple flavored ones) as the sauce is bit sweet.
To make the special sauce, simply put together butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder, and pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. You don’t need to wait until all the sugar crystals are fully dissolved because we are still going to continue cooking the mixture in the oven. Pour the special sauce over the bacon wrapped enoki mushrooms then bake in the oven at 400 F until the bacon is fully cooked, around 20 minutes.
Bacon-Wrapped Enoki Mushrooms
- 12 slices regular bacon (not the flavored ones)
- 1 pack about 250 grams enoki mushrooms
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven at 400 F (200 C).
- Divide the enoki mushrooms into 12 bundles. Do not scrimp on the amount of mushrooms as they wilt and shrink once cooked. Wrap a piece of bacon around each bundle and lay them in a shallow baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, soy sauce, garlic powder and freshly ground black pepper. Allow the mixture to boil over medium heat, stirring once or twice just to ensure that the ingredients are mixed evenly. It is not necessary wait for the sugar to dissolve.
- Pour the mixture over the bacon wrapped enoki mushrooms, making sure that each piece has been coated with sauce. Bake until bacon is fully cooked and sauce has been reduced, about 20-25 minutes.
6 thoughts on “Bacon Wrapped Enoki Mushrooms”
pan-fried the bacon-wrapped enoki (instead of baking it in the oven to save time 😊) before incorporating it with the PERFECT SAUCE, and it turned out really amazing.
thank you for this wonderful and easy to prepare dish
Yes, that PERFECT sauce makes this dish!=) I should try pan frying it too some time. Thank you, Katz, for taking the time to rate and share your recipe – it truly helps!
Just made this and love the rich drenched bubbly sauce. Used twice as much butter and crushed fresh garlic instead of garlic powder and it was crazy good!
The sauce is indeed the star of this dish! Fresh garlic – why didn’t I think of that?! I will use fresh minced garlic next time…thanks for the tip, David! 🙂
This recipe is easy to prepare and taste fantastic! It is also very versatile as you can substitute the enoki mushroom with asparagus, carrots or any other veggies that you like. The 5 star actually goes to the sauce which made this dish our house favourite.
I’m glad you liked the recipe! 😉