This quick and easy homestyle macaroni salad is a perfect side dish for your next celebration. The combination of eggs, carrots, onions, relish, pineapple, and shredded chicken makes this salad extra tasty!
Macaroni salad is a classic family gathering food. Every party, picnic, birthday, or even Christmas, you can expect a macaroni salad on the table, with different versions and ingredient twists.
This is my favorite version – sweet, salty, and creamy all at the same time! Be sure to complete the ingredients as each one contributes to the overall taste experience – the sweetness from the pineapples and relish, some tanginess from the white vinegar, a bit of saltiness from the cubed cheese, the bite from the red onions, the crunch from the carrots, the softness of the eggs, and the chewy shredded chicken. Truly a simple dish, but with the flavors and textures packed in this macaroni salad, it will be gone in minutes!
I love putting in a bit of paprika into my salad, but if you don’t have it at home then it’s fine to omit it. Remember to properly season with salt and pepper, pop the salad in the fridge to help the flavors combine a little more, then serve.
Homestyle Macaroni Salad
- 200 grams elbow macaroni uncooked
- 1/3 cup carrots cubed
- 1 tablespoon red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 1/4 cup pineapple tidbits drained
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken (great use of leftover roasted chicken!)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup diced cheddar cheese
- 2 pieces hard-boiled egg
- 1 teaspoon paprika optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni salad according to package directions. Drain then place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- To make the macaroni salad dressing, combine all the remaining ingredients except for the egg and paprika. Mix and taste the dressing. Adjust the taste to your liking (ex. add more relish, onions, etc)
- Pour the macaroni dressing over the bowl of cooked macaroni and gently mix until combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the paprika on top and garnish with eggs. Before serving, put in the fridge for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend.